Saturday, September 26, 2009

Field trip to the Alpaca Farm in Petersburg!!!

So this morning, Rebekah and I went to Bart & Rhonda's Alpaca Farm.


What a treat!! We had the best time!

These guys are so fun to watch. They're very playful and you can see how they each have their own personalities. We got to pet them and they are SO INCREDIBLY soft and friendly!! Cindy, you'll be happy to know there was NO spitting or rude behavior by them at all. They were well behaved and very cute.

Bart & Rhonda were great hosts and we really learned a lot about the animals, their care, and how their gorgeous coats (fiber) become yarn. They had several different colors of Alpacas; creams, browns, blacks and all were beautiful animals and their colors were so rich. There are actually 22 different natural colors!!!

Soon Rhonda will be hosting a "wet felting" class so I'll be sure to post the details on that when I have them. She had some hats and purses that were wet felted and they were so cool!!!

I'm going to post a few pictures here, but all the pics I took today will be on my Facebook page, feel free to check them out!


If you want to do a group field trip, let me know, I'm sure we could arrange it.
Aren't they adorable!!!
Of course I had to buy some yarn. These were made from Alpaca, I can't wait to make a hat out of them. The colors are so deep and perfect for fall! That's Cooper....shes was hoping it was for her..."I DON'T THINK SO COOPER!!"
This is a hank that actually came from one of Rhonda & Bart's Alpacas. Currently they send the "fiber" to a mill but Rhonda is learning to spin and is hoping to have some more time so she can do it herself on the farm. This was 150 yards for 10 bucks, can't beat that! And it was SO SO SO soft. Now Cooper AND Maverick think I brought them home a present!!

No comments:

Post a Comment