Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My First Preemie Cap

So the thing about Preemie Caps, is although they are "caps"...you can't use circular needles.... you all remember "circular" needles, we used them for Chemo Caps and they were magical!!! They provided instant gratification because within a few minutes your project looked like something instead of just a ball of yarn, and when knitting "in the round" you continue to just "knit" yet it gives your garment the appearance of "knit and purl" stitching (stockinette)

However..... Circular needles are too big for teeny baby heads, therefore you have to use DPN's (Double pointed needles) the needles we used to finish the chemo caps.

I'm not opposed to DPN's , but I will say they are a little tricky at first. It's different to START a project on DPN's. So since I've gone through this, I would recommend starting your hat with just a "knit" stitch , instead of a "knit /purl" stitch. I think the look of the "ribbed" stitch is great and it provides "elasticity" , but for your first project it's kinda tricky!!!

I know this because my preemie cap will likely be going into my scrapbook because it didn't turn out so great, primarily because I didn't have my groove with the DPN's. However by the 2nd hat, I got it now!!!!

So my words of wisdom to you is for your first hat....do a roll brim instead of a ribbed!! Save that one for your 2nd cap!!!

Below are some pics of mine... I tried to get Cooper and Bandini to model them... they wanted to eat it or ignore it!!!































No comments:

Post a Comment